You have seen those videos of pilots shooting aerial videos over lakes, coastline and beaches. You wonder how can they do that? We bring you tips and tricks that you can use to fly your DJI Phantom 3 safely over water thanks to this awesome video by Tom’s Tech Time.
Some disclaimer and warning. The tips featured here assumes that you are an experienced pilot and you have the experience and knowledge to safely maneuver your DJI Phantom 3. This is not for the beginners! If you don’t know what you are doing you risk losing your quadcopter or worse cause serious injury.
How to Fly Your DJI Phantom 3 Over Water With These Tips and Tricks
- Disable VPS / Vision Positioning System to avoid the DJI Phantom 3 from getting disoriented when flying over low and moving surface (like the water).
- STAY AWAY from obstacles that could interfere with the Compass or Signal. For example, BOATS!, LIGHT HOUSES!, Antennas, magnetic objects and electronic devices.
- Look for obstacles like ROCKS! and observe the rhythm of WAVES. If your are not careful, bare in mind you will be flying really low or close to the water surface and a wave could come crashing down and drag your beloved DJI Phantom 3 to its depths. (DON’T JUMP IN THE WATER BLINDLY TO SAVE IT IF IT HAPPENS!!)
- STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM BIRDS!! THEY ARE RATS WITH WINGS! ( SEAGULLS, EAGLES, HAWKS, ANYTHING WITH WINGS EVEN SPARROWS!)
- Use the Course Lock function on long distance flights.
- Do not under any circumstances play chicken with the WIND. Return early.
- Acquire ADVANCED TAKE OFF SKILLS before attempting to fly off moving platforms such as a boat or ship.
- Recover your DJI Phantom 3 after a wet landing.. duhh.. but seriously be extra careful and don’t jump in the water blindly. You can always get another one and DJI is having a 10 year celebration sale at the moment.
- STAY CALM IF THE SHIT HITS THE FAN. The worst is the DJI Phantom 3 is shipwrecked.
If done correctly the results can be simply amazing.
For more tips and tricks, visit: